The Pensions Regulator (TPR) is the public body that protects workplace pensions in the UK. We work with employers and those running pensions so that people can save safely for their retirement.
We aim to be a strong, visible regulator so that we build people's confidence in pensions.
What we do
We are responsible for:
- making sure employers put their staff into a pension scheme and pay money into it (known as ‘automatic enrolment’)
- protecting people’s savings in workplace pensions
- improving the way that workplace pension schemes are run
- reducing the risk of pension schemes ending up in the Pension Protection Fund (PPF)
- making sure employers balance the needs of their defined benefit pension scheme with growing their business
Our priorities for 2018 to 2021 are:
- Enhancing and executing effective regulatory approaches across all schemes.
- Promoting good trusteeship through improving governance and administration.
- Effective regulation of defined benefit schemes.
- Effective regulation of master trusts.
- Ensuring employers meet their ongoing automatic enrolment duties.
- Preparing for the impact of Brexit.
- Equipping our staff to meet the challenges that TPR faces.
- Developing an approach to regulation that focuses on more proactive and targeted work and uses a wider range of regulatory interventions.
You can find out more about these priorities in our corporate plan.
To deliver our priorities we will educate, enable and enforce when we need to. Read more about our approach to regulating.
Who we are
We are a public body sponsored by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). We’re based in Brighton and have around 500 staff.
We work closely with the Financial Conduct Authority who regulate personal pension schemes. We also work closely with other public bodies including:
Our board members oversee what we do and make sure that TPR is well run.
What we don't do
We are not responsible for:
- dealing with queries or complaints from scheme members about their pension benefits
- providing scheme members with help on how to access their pension savings
- finding lost pensions
- dealing with State Pension or tax queries
Vision and values
Our vision is to be a strong, agile, fair and efficient regulator. Through this we seek to gain the respect of employers, trustees and other stakeholders.
Together with our partners, we will drive up standards of trusteeship and improve savers’ understanding of their situation to create better outcomes in their later life.
We are committed to making TPR a great place to work and doing all we can to support our people to reach their full potential.
We believe certain values are central to delivering this vision. These include being:
- committed to the pursuit of good outcomes for workplace savers
- bold and impartial in our decision-making
- alert and responsive to emerging risks and opportunities
- supportive of our people
- united as one team